North Carolina Residency for Tuition Purposes

If you are an out-of-state graduate student, you are REQUIRED to apply for Residency or you will be responsible for out of state tuition after the first year.

Waiver of Out-of-State Tuition (tuition remission). For all out-of-state students on an assistantship and with U.S. citizenship or residence visas, the in-state tuition is paid by the assistantship for two years for Master’s students and for three years for Doctoral students. The Graduate School grants a waiver of out-of-state tuition only for the first year of residency. It is the responsibility of the student to begin the process of obtaining North Carolina residency immediately upon arrival on campus. 

Detailed information regarding residency is available at the Residency for Tuition Purposes page. You should read this page carefully so that you understand what your responsibilities are.

You should begin establishing your NC residency immediately upon arrival to NC State. The process is done through the North Carolina Residency Determination Service (RDS).  While you need to start working towards residency immediately, you cannot apply for residency until you have been in North Carolina for 365 days.

Here is a summary steps you should begin taking immediately.

  1. Apply for a North Carolina Driver’s License
  2. If you have a car, register it in North Carolina and get a North Carolina License plate.
  3. Register to vote in North Carolina. You can do this when you get your NC Driver’s License or by mail.
  4. Open a checking account at a local bank. You need to do this for direct deposit of your check too. Do not use an out of state bank, this implies you are not a resident.
  5. Keep your records of tax forms, utility bills, lease/rental agreements, and other official documents that show your NC address.